For information on kinship/relative adoption, including information on state laws covering this topic.
- Visit the Child Welfare Information Gateway
- Search keywords: kinship adoption
- Click "Adoption by Family Type: Kinship/Relative Adoption" to find various links including a downloadable factsheet entitled, "Kinship Care/Grandparents Raising Grandchildren"
Further down the page find:
"Placement of Children with Relatives: Summary of State Laws"
a downloadable/viewable summary of the laws on kinship/relative adoption state-by-state.
- Visit the AARP (American Associated of Retired Persons) website for information on the option of grandparent guardianship adoption:
Keyword search: grandparent adoption
- The Children's Defense Organization has information on kinship adoption:
- The Adoption Program Manager's office in each state also has specific information on Kinship/Relative Adoption.
- Call the appropriate state Adoption Program Manager
- Should the child(ren) live in one state and the relatives to adopt live in another state:
- Call the Adoption Program Manager in each of the states
- Call the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) Administrator (state- to- state adoption) for each state